Bird Dog Training Services
We provide Positive-forward, Expert board and train upland bird dog training for Pointers and Flushers.
During May, June, and July we work extensively on foundational training for Puppies and derby aged hunting dogs.
For Adult Bird Dogs
Beginning in May, we include Advanced level training of adult hunting dogs for hunting, hunt testing, or competition.
Gun Dog Training
Youngsters (Gun Dogs 7+ months) will receive Foundational Training.
Our Foundational Gun Dog Training Includes
- Proper introduction to birds and transitions between different species of game birds.
- Proper introduction to gunfire, including more than one gun.
- Introduction to retrieve
- Introduction to Water
- Introduction to Horses and ATV’s
- Working with a brace mate or other hunting dogs
Basic Obedience – Foundational level
- Recall – Come or Here
- Whoa (pointers)
- Sit/Stop (Flushers)
- Field handling
- Whistle introduction for field handling
- Kennel (load to crate)
Conditioning Training is very popular for both competition-bound dogs and hunter’s couch potatoes to get in top shape prior to season opening. A gun dog that is in top shape is better able to find game.
With our access to grounds, all bird dogs work varied grounds and make great strides in working differing covers, weather patterns and birds.
We work from horseback, foot or ATV depending on the gun dogs, cover and land we are working. Your hutning dog will be exposed to all three conveyances.
Our Conditioning Training Includes
- Structured exercise format including rest/recovery days
- Strength training exercises for gun dogs
- Wind Building exercises for hunting dogs
- Charted performance statistics
- Increased Endurance afield
- Specific Calorie Control Feeding
- Canine performance supplements
Adult Dogs (1 year +) will move to higher levels of training based on the owner’s desire in finished training level including work on any foundational issues.
Advanced Gun Dog Training Includes
- Steady to Wing
- Steady to Shot
- Steady to Fall
- Honor Point and/or Retrieve
- Trained Retrieve
- Range control
Training on Wild Birds
We often hear of how folks used to be able to train on wild birds, but no more. Here in rural South Dakota, we still have plentiful opportunities to train on wild game.
Many of the gun dogs that come in for work in May, June, and July stay for our Wild Bird Camp, where we spend 8 weeks working primarily Wild Pheasants, Sharptail Grouse, and Hungarian Partridge, in addition to released “educated” nearly wild Bobwhite quail.
Space is strictly limited to ensure ample individual time for each hunting dog.
Our Gun Dog Training on Wild Birds Features
- All the benefits of the Foundational or Advanced Training
- Dog will learn to work Multiple wild bird types
- Dog will work varied covers and terrain including
- native prairie
- hay and crop fields
- slough’s and drainages
- Dog’s worked single or in pair with handler/trainer for each dog.
|Board, Train, Conditioning||$700*||$700*||$700*||$900*||$900*|
- Rates are $USD per calendar month
- One month minimum, additional prorated per week
- *One time annual lease fee of $200 added per dog in training; Released birds dispatched in the training of your dog additional per bird
- Dogs must be a minimum of 1 year of age to begin conditioning program.
Call now for more information and availability.
Monday – Saturday, 8-6 MT
Always leave a message
(we’re probably working with the dogs)
Calls returned within 1 business day
Gun Dog Trainer
13638 SD Highway 20
Firesteel, SD 57633
P: (605) 277-8900
Monday to Saturday
8am – 6pm, Mountain Time